Saturday, December 31, 2005

Yesteryear

No metaphors this time…

Today is 2005’s last day. As soon as consciousness came to me, the instinctive look at the time of day stretched my cognizant self. It is still morning. I am without others (which don’t happen all the time). Paula spent the night at Auntie Luz’s house, and I have to say I am somewhat glad to be in solitude to compose my thoughts and put them here. This article will be about people, places, happenings, and most of all, the year in my personal perspective as enumerated throughout the past twelve months of 2005.
Welcome to my panoramic view of two thousand and five.
January was the month my son Rael, daughter Paula, and I moved in our modest apartment. The day after Rael’s arrival from the Philippines, the three of us already instinctively packed what belongings we have and transferred ourselves to a bare dwelling that would soon be our sanctuary and place of comfort. It wasn’t too long and without the care and support of relatives that we found our home with the necessary furniture, supplies and some moderate accessories. Second hand stuff were not only acceptable, they were incomparable. I knew then that my apartment was going to be eclectic! As the three of us adjusted to our surroundings and the progress of jobs and school – in Paula’s case – life, I knew, would take its full course, and with optimism I heard myself say, “Everything’s gonna be alright”.

It was the same month that Mark decided he would visit me here in San Jose, California. He was passing through having attended his grandfather’s funeral in Freport, Illinois. And his usual impulsive behavior dictated that he comes to see me. The reunion was a mixture of confusion and sentimentality as we faced our separation, conjugally.

Steve was going to have a birthday in February and a coincidental business trip to Anchorage. I still clung on to Steve for the warm emotional support he’s always given me, and the idea of a meeting was exciting and we both had presumed, fulfilling. Only it wasn’t. As soon as I had set foot on Anchorage, he shared that he was having troubles on the home front. In short, the whole rendezvous was downcast. February as it turned out would be the start of our journey towards the surface as we leave the rock.

In March, I found myself working in the Activity Department of a Nursing home. The job came to me without my looking for one because I thought I had already gotten myself two jobs: a tutor in a private Tutorial School and as a Bridal consultant in a Bridal Shop. Not long after I acquired these two jobs, I had met with a fantastic person who would soon be my immediate supervisor if I chose to take on the Activity personnel job. Intuitively, I felt this was going to work better than juggling two jobs that offered me no weekends off. So in March 13, 2005, I have officially become the Assistant Activity Director, and no longer was I a tutor and a bridal consultant.

I couldn’t think of anything very significant in April, but in May we had a ton of birthdays in my vast extended family. Rael was the more significant person for me to celebrate one’s life and he turned 23 on the 27th of May. Paula and I shopped for gifts and bought him the add-ons and supplies for his Sony Playstation PSP. Twenty three years after I gave birth to this boy, and now a husband to Johna and daddy to Arkin and Serrah, Rael still received toy presents from his Mother.

June in California started to get hot and dry, and colorful. As the weather added more tan to my skin, flowers were also in a full blast of color. There were roses in every yard I’ve seen. My apartment too was getting more orderly and animated with the additional assortments I have incorporated in it. It was this month when people that used to be strangers became increasingly significant and relevant. I was getting more acquainted with the faces of staff and residents in the nursing home I work at. Angie, a long-lost friend from high school who I have not seen nor communicated in more than 20 years, happens to live in Daly City, and needless we reunited through phone conversations. (I would later meet up with her). Concluding, this hump month of the year came and went.

My mother arrived in July. She would be here for the entire summer season. I want to think now that she wasn’t here just for the frugal garage sales where you can get china for a quarter to a dollar and other knick-knacks that one really doesn’t need, but also to spend time with me, Rael, Paula. Guia stayed in our apartment; she cooked, tendered us the household support while watching The Filipino Channel on cable during the day. Paula’s school ended this month, too, and left her 7th grade behind.

I became 41 on the 8th of August of this year. Mark and I met in Seattle a few days before my birthday, and having decided prior that we would celebrate “something” there. I ended up parasailing with him and screaming my lungs, vocal cords, and tonsils out while 100 ft up the air as tears welled my eyes. Thanks, to Mark; I took on the flight of fright. Happy Birthday to me!

September was truly special as this month marked the birth of a new angel in my family. Serrah Japson-Rafael was born on the 13th. I have become grandmother x 2. Never have I felt more pride least of all to be called a grandmother. Paula also celebrated life as she turned 14 on the 29th. She, I predict, would be a classy, demure, observant, and discerning lady in years to come. Life is fast evolving around her, yet her discipline and composure give her power over this life.

In October, I began to face emotional struggles again. My anxiety and equanimity overpowered my set routine. I have been in this sink hole before and I felt that my legs were tired to kick towards the surface. It was truly a perturbing time as I confronted my demons. My gratitude goes to close friends who helped me during this period.

I have officially become a California resident in November. This realization hadn’t been more pragmatic ever since my transfer to this city more than a year ago now.

Ah, December… the annual pilgrimage to the malls began as people scurried and frantically shopped (at) the last minute for Christmas gifts. ‘Tis the season to be jolly, and for tradition’s sake as well as to share with my young ones’ jubilance I was merry. For all the whole year’s almost dry weather, on this month, the week before Christmas the skies broke into tears sobbing its heart out and wailing at the top of its lungs (didn’t I say “no metaphors”?).

The year ended and the new one begins, stormy weather et al.
A salutation to 2006!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home