Friday, April 30, 2004

Mine to keep

The Kindergarten teacher gives me her aunt's phone number. "Call Wanda," she says. "She has a couch that she is willing to give you. It's still in good condition."

Today, I was given my apartment key. With the help of two handy guy-friends, I hauled the first furniture to enter this new abode. We had a hard time getting the couch through the door (as always the case), but after minutes of tugging, pushing, pulling, and finally shoving, the sofa finally made its place. I could have sworn my couch gave a sigh of relief as much as I did. But I was smiling. I still am.

My couch. I like the sound of that. My apartment. My lock and key. Suddenly I feel wealthy. I just inherited the most valuable gift I could give myself. My independence.

In reality I know that my struggles will still continue. But at the same time, I believe challenges will be positively overwhelming. Life will not present itself on a silver platter; nevertheless it will be served to me. I will take its abundance and sift through the fine discerning cloth to separate negative impurities, throwing them in the air, while preserving the more treasured affirmative concours.

With key in hand, I unlock the door leading to my new life. As I enter the beige and sturdy door of salutation, a whiff of fresh air invigorates my soul. I awake; I come alive as I pass through a new hospitable home. Again, in transition, I breathe that faith in...

Such a cozy room, the windows are illuminated
By the evening sunshine through them,
Fiery gems for (you) me, only for me...

- Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home