Saturday, April 03, 2004

Sleep Deprivation

I see no pictures in my clouded and tired mind. I’m exhausted, however fortunate that it’s been an easy day – TGIF. We dress casually on Fridays at work. Even more unfussy than the already laid-back wear in small city Cordova. We have a Spring Christmas party. We exchange white elephant gifts. I don’t know why it is named that, but I play along. This is my third year doing the obligatory work party, and I wish they’d organize something different and unique. This is getting really old. The salsa dip is lousy, too. I didn't know they put baby shrimps in them... Uugh.

My brain goes into a coma sometime this afternoon. And just when I am to translate a long letter – from English to another foreign language – poof, there goes my head! My left hand feels lifeless and I see my fingers trembling while tapping the keys. I try to focus again and find the spot where I’d left my last thoughts. I’m paralyzed up there. I give up… I better put my head down on the desk and steal some rest.

Sleep deprivation. I worry and envision my delicate future and that of my children’s. What lies ahead in my future is extremely vital. I plan ahead. I set my goals. But I don’t sleep at a decent time so I awake at 7:00 AM without remorse from last night's lack of planning. I should already be under the falling water in the shower cubicle.

The earth is pulling my eyelids down. If I don’t get my hands off this keyboard, I will drool on it while my head falls and my chin touches my chest. So here’s goodnight for now.

This day has ended.
- Kahlil Gibran

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home